Levels of law-breaking in motorists, from the RAC Report on Motoring 2012:
The RAC 2012 Report on Motoring
reveals that ...
- 83% of motorists admit to regular speeding
- 40% admit to speeding in 30mph areas
- 39% of 25-44 year olds text when driving or at lights
- and, incidentally, 92% believe they are law-abiding!
The RAC identifies in drivers “a fundamental lack of understanding about ... the increasing likelihood of fatalities and serious injuries as speeds rise.” However, possibly drivers are rather more aware than this suggests, because another survey, for Direct Line insurance [ref: brake.org.uk, 20.9.12 news] , found ...
- 78% of drivers supported £200+ fines for speeding
- 47% of drivers supported £500+ fines for speeding
- 78% of drivers want full driving bans for 12 penalty points, with no let-out for 'exceptional hardship.'